2024 Install Failure

Damo
Answers: 0

2024 Install Failure

Unread post by Damo »

I recently installed 2024 and encountered an issue with somethong called "Computer Identifier".
(Despite the implication, I am not installing to a different, or modified machine.)
Computer Identifier...png
Which would not allow activation and actually deactivated ALL my existing installs.
Activate FAIL.png
My reseller has kindly provided me a temporary licence which I had to copy in to a program data folder valid, for the next 2 days.

Hopefully they will sort something out to get it correctly functional again.

Anyone else experienced this issue.?
Or have any opinions on why/how a fundamental flaw like this escapes into the wild on a new release.?
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Re: 2024 Install Failure

Unread post by gupta9665 »

This issue is due to FLEXnet licensing service included with SOLIDWORKS 2024. Read this information to find the solution https://www.goengineer.com/blog/current ... tion-error
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

Upgrading solidworks while keeping the license activated is asking for troubles. It was like that since forever... I do not understand why the developpers insist to keep this possibility open when it cause more harm than good.

Finally a great improvement for the users. Not all those bugs that require so many hours to be fixed and nobody cares of.
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

gupta9665 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:54 am This issue is due to FLEXnet licensing service included with SOLIDWORKS 2024. Read this information to find the solution https://www.goengineer.com/blog/current ... tion-error
Yeah.
I do wish I'd heard of this sooner. There is even a post in the Swamp I saw yesterday warning of this new issue.
Dammit... It seems there is nothing I can do now the damage is done. It will be upto my reseller. I have them onto it.
Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Cheers Deepak.
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

mp3-250 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:12 am Upgrading solidworks while keeping the license activated is asking for troubles. It was like that since forever... I do not understand why the developpers insist to keep this possibility open when it cause more harm than good.
I'd never heard of this being an issue before.
And over the handful of times I have upgraded since 2013 I've experienced a few issue, yes, but never this one.
mp3-250 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:12 am Finally a great improvement for the users. Not all those bugs that require so many hours to be fixed and nobody cares of.
Yup.. This is exactly why I generally do not want to update. There is literally always a new problem/glitch/bug (or UI change) to deal with.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

Damo wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:46 pm I'd never heard of this being an issue before.
And over the handful of times I have upgraded since 2013 I've experienced a few issue, yes, but never this one.

Yup.. This is exactly why I generally do not want to update. There is literally always a new problem/glitch/bug (or UI change) to deal with.
it is not your fault. that "suggestion" is written here and there on some VAR website. even our VAR told us to always deactivate and failing to do so could cause the license to explode in yout face... SOMETIMES.
this is the problem with SW as software: it is unpredictable.
90% of the times it works and the 9% it goes crazy, then you have a 1% of complete BS the devs will deny to even exist.

I have the UI resetting itself for gods know what on random machines. I have standardized all our settings and deploy them to all our pcs.
Well I have the drawing toolbars copying themselves to the assy interface, just going back and forward from the sheet to the 3d for no reason and barely touching those toolbars at all.
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

mp3-250 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:49 am it is not your fault. that "suggestion" is written here and there on some VAR website. even our VAR told us to always deactivate and failing to do so could cause the license to explode in yout face... SOMETIMES.
this is the problem with SW as software: it is unpredictable.
90% of the times it works and the 9% it goes crazy, then you have a 1% of complete BS the devs will deny to even exist.

I have the UI resetting itself for gods know what on random machines. I have standardized all our settings and deploy them to all our pcs.
Well I have the drawing toolbars copying themselves to the assy interface, just going back and forward from the sheet to the 3d for no reason and barely touching those toolbars at all.
I hear that. There are a couple of settings in my setup that consistently change themselves.
And drawing view glitches.. OMG Can they please fix these..

Meh... For the most part it works as it should and I get the work done.
At the end of the day, this is all I ask.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I had something like that for one computer when we moved to 2023, my VAR assisted us with the computer and everything was fine and dandy.
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

Well, this issue has been resolved... Today. It only took 8 days.!! It was not as straightforward as promised.
Essentially, dassualt stuffed up their understanding of my unique machine ID and mixed it up somehow with an older machine we scrapped.
I've no idea how they managed to assign a computer ID from one dead machine, 4 years ago, to my current machine.
This gave issue with my licence and I was basically locked out because they assumed I was running it on multiple machines.. (or something like this.)

I suppose the main thing is thay they got it working again.

And, now I've been reading thru the latest new T's&C's. 😮