If you're thinking about getting an electric car . . .

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 23

If you're thinking about getting an electric car . . .

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

. . . you might want to watch this video of a test we did a couple weeks ago. Please note that this is a Thrie-beam rail, which is made of the same material as a standard W-beam rail, except it has one more rib, so it's about 8" wider. A standard W-beam will redirect a passenger car or a 1/2 ton 4-door pickup with an internal combustion engine, so this is a stronger rail than what's typically used on roadways.

I suspect that the testing standards will need to be modified as the number of electric vehicles on the road increases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFen-_R_0Mo&t=4s
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
VicFrauenfeld
Answers: 0

Re: If you're thinking about getting an electric car . . .

Unread post by VicFrauenfeld »

Wow Glenn. Could you share a video of an internal combustion engine car? I am just curious what the difference is. Do you think the electric one does not redirect because the weight being so low in the vehicle (where the battery pack is located), it just seems to snap the wooden posts.
Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Kinda scary how the rail bends in an angle directly to the windshield upon breaking.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I assume it is the total weight of the vehicle.

https://www.evspecs.org/electric-cars-w ... ison-chart

The Tesla X weighs 2000 lbm more than an Accord. (And that accord is probably a hybrid with extra batteries of its own.)

There are so many negatives to EV's that aren't even part of the discussion, but should be. I'm not anti EV, but I'm anti being lied to.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

SPerman wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:59 am I assume it is the total weight of the vehicle.
Yeap. A sedan heavier then a truck and very low CG.

We need 360 Matrix shots oa
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

SPerman wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:59 am I assume it is the total weight of the vehicle.

https://www.evspecs.org/electric-cars-w ... ison-chart

The Tesla X weighs 2000 lbm more than an Accord. (And that accord is probably a hybrid with extra batteries of its own.)

There are so many negatives to EV's that aren't even part of the discussion, but should be. I'm not anti EV, but I'm anti being lied to.
You are well grounded with your unintended pun!
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

@Glenn Schroeder What gauge is the sheet metal that is formed from?
Glenn Schroeder

VicFrauenfeld wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:47 am Wow Glenn. Could you share a video of an internal combustion engine car?
Here you are. I don't have access to any film of a specific test with one, but this video has two similar tests where the goal was to contain the vehicle. The first one (starting at about the 9:00 mark) is impacting W-beam, which as I mentioned above is a narrower rail than the one in the electric car test, and the one right after it is a box van impacting Thrie-beam.

By the way, the structure being impacted in the last test in this video, starting at about 12:00 minutes, is one of the first projects I worked on when I started with SW (with no previous modeling or drafting experience). As you might imagine, I breathed a big sigh of relief when it all fit together like it was supposed to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XXJqEY-sXk
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Glenn Schroeder

KennyG wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:16 am @Glenn Schroeder What gauge is the sheet metal that is formed from?
Twelve gauge.

KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:51 am Twelve gauge.
That's pretty heavy.
Glenn Schroeder

I forgot to mention that the impact speed for that test was only 62 mph (100 kph).

ctsturdiv
Answers: 0

Unread post by ctsturdiv »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:21 am . . . you might want to watch this video of a test we did a couple weeks ago. Please note that this is a Thrie-beam rail, which is made of the same material as a standard W-beam rail, except it has one more rib, so it's about 8" wider. A standard W-beam will redirect a passenger car or a 1/2 ton 4-door pickup with an internal combustion engine, so this is a stronger rail than what's typically used on roadways.

I suspect that the testing standards will need to be modified as the number of electric vehicles on the road increases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFen-_R_0Mo&t=4s
You are making me re-live Physics.

I can imagine.

Just the extra mass on those huge battery packs on something like a Tesla an unstoppable force, especially with the center of gravity of that mass so low to the ground.

But, my question is that you have much heavier machines on the road like big semi trucks. Is it that these barriers were approved beforehand because the barriers can usually handle the mass at that velocity if the center of gravity is higher up?

I personally am not a fan of EVs (especially Teslas) because of range, cost, and horrible customer service/repair concerns. Anything goes wrong with these, you look at multiple thousands and months backlog to fix at a place that may be hundreds of miles away. I also think there may be some fraud involved. If you call something "full self driving" it should mean "driving by itself". That is near some Theranos level trickery there and I think Musk dd it just to manipulate stock prices when he knew all he had was a more advanced form of cruise control. How many big employers would LOVE to not have to pay drivers if this were true. But at least unlike Elizabeth Holmes, a Tesla still drives, so he gets somewhat of a pass. But still think some regulatory body needs to look into this and require Tesla to let other people work on their cars.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Looks like it went under the rail.
TexasAnM-01.jpg
Glenn Schroeder

ctsturdiv wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:18 am But, my question is that you have much heavier machines on the road like big semi trucks. Is it that these barriers were approved beforehand because the barriers can usually handle the mass at that velocity if the center of gravity is higher up?
The current testing standards for roadside barriers were established about 15 years ago, so before there were many electric vehicles on the road. That barrier would not stop a semi truck, but if you watched the second video I posted you will see that it will stop smaller trucks (what we generally refer to as box vans).

You need a concrete barrier to re-direct a loaded semi truck (42" tall, if I remember correctly).