STL -> CAD

Discuss Inventor software with other users.
kacper.suchomski
Answers: 0

STL -> CAD

Unread post by kacper.suchomski »

3D scanning offers huge opportunities in the area of ​​metrology and reverse engineering. However, the scanning stage alone is not sufficient in most processes.
A pre-processed scan:
🟢 suitable as a reference material in the design process
🟡 averagely suitable for 3D printing (less demanding cases)
🔴 not suitable for use on CNC

Below is an example of reverse engineering.
In my opinion, the tactic of surface modeling is particularly noteworthy here.

Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: STL -> CAD

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Hopefully CAD software will work with 3D scan and mesh better in the future.
It'll help with product development, QC and repair.
len_1962
Answers: 1

Unread post by len_1962 »

SolidWorks and IV have add-ins from orther software companies that work well for this, one I use is DezignWorks, works great with our Romer arm probe and scanner, you work right inside your CAD building the part file from 2D using the probe to 3D using the scanner creating surfaces or solids.

years ago I tried Spaceclaim and they worked well with scan meshes, just didn't like the UI.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Lately we have been pushed by our customer to convert some STL files that they provided to us into CAD models. We use Solidworks here.

These STL files are outputs from their CNC programming software (Espirit). Since they are NOT scans, they are extremely hard to work with because they have toolpaths in them.

I wonder if there is a better way. I have tried using the Scanning converters to turn things into nice swoopy surfaces, but nothing has worked so far except old fashioned elbow grease of measuring and re-modeling.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

DanPihlaja wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:20 pm Lately we have been pushed by our customer to convert some STL files that they provided to us into CAD models. We use Solidworks here.

These STL files are outputs from their CNC programming software (Espirit). Since they are NOT scans, they are extremely hard to work with because they have toolpaths in them.

I wonder if there is a better way. I have tried using the Scanning converters to turn things into nice swoopy surfaces, but nothing has worked so far except old fashioned elbow grease of measuring and re-modeling.
Could you provide a model or something close to it, or image of what struggles you're facing..?
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

DanPihlaja wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:20 pm Lately we have been pushed by our customer to convert some STL files that they provided to us into CAD models. We use Solidworks here.

Is the STL real STL file? 3D print and measure? LOL
Customer want to make old parts but don't have drawing and only got program for old machine?
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:26 pm Is the STL real STL file? 3D print and measure? LOL
Customer want to make old parts but don't have drawing and only got program for old machine?

That is correct. Customer only has program for old program.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14