Scorched earth Windows installs

Installation, PDM, standards, training, support, part numbering, rev schemes, etc.
doobes
Answers: 1

Scorched earth Windows installs

Unread post by doobes »

Hi de ho,

I'm on the verge of doing a scorched earth Windows 10 install on my only Windows machine, which I use for SolidWorks.

I've done this a couple of times, and it's not a particularly difficult process but it is tedious.

My goal is to set up a system that once it's set up, I won't be futzing with it too very much. That's why I need to do this reinstall as I've buggered this one up.

The major apps I'm going to put on this thing are:
  • SolidWorks (natch)
  • Capture 1
  • LightRoom
  • Microsoft Office. I currently have a license for 2010, but am thinking about updating.
  • SketchUp 2017
  • Foxit (pdf reader)
  • Brave browser
  • NotePad++
  • GIMP (hopefully v3.0)
  • Inkscape
  • Nik Collection
  • NoMachine
  • Thunderbird
  • Cura
  • 7-Zip
  • ReNamer
  • Trilium Next
  • Open Shell
  • FileZilla
  • Pulse SMS
And some other more minor utils and apps.

If you have done this recently, please weigh in on any hurdles, challenges, problems you encountered.

I've stood up a VitrualBox with Windows 10 on it for testing purposes on a Linux box. That way I won't be "testing" apps on this box until I know they are well behaved. Lesson learned.

Thanks for any wisdom you can share.
chris
KennyG
Answers: 7

Re: Scorched earth Windows installs

Unread post by KennyG »

Given that Windows 10 is on borrowed time as its planned obsolescence is only about a year out from now (October 14, 2025) and hardware vendors are no longer focusing on it for firmware/driver builds due to Microsoft's pressure on them to only support and sell Windows 11 on new hardware, I would recommend installing Windows 11 instead.
doobes
Answers: 1

Unread post by doobes »

Sorry, machine is not compatible with Win11.

The plan is to use it as long as MS is supporting it, and then when support ends, I'll firewall the machine off from the innerwebs.

I'm no longer on subscription so SWx v2023 SP5.0 is all there's going to be for me.
chris
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

I've also got one that is not compatible with Win 11 (no TPM chip), so it is stuck on Windows 10 too.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

SteveH
Answers: 0

Unread post by SteveH »

doobes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:13 pm Sorry, machine is not compatible with Win11.
I have a computer I built about six years ago that, according to Microsoft, was not compatible with Windows 11. I updated the BIOS which apparently made it compatible and Microsoft immediately wanted to upgrade it which, for better or for worse, is what I did. This was roughly three months ago.