Weird STEP import phenomena

bentlybobcat
Answers: 0

Weird STEP import phenomena

Unread post by bentlybobcat »

So I got a bunch of step files from one of our contractors to use in our assembly model.

Importing them into Swx v2019 results in every part having a Sweep inserted in the part on top of the Imported part in the feature manager tree.

The Sweep is broken due to relations to elements that no longer exist.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Any "easy" rectifications?

I can delete the offending sweeps, but there are a bunch of parts and it's a bit time consuming.

Thanks
Bent
Tom G

Re: Weird STEP import phenomena

Unread post by Tom G »

The options chosen when the user created the STEP are not evident to recipient until after import. I always find this frustrating, because some models come through nicely, and others have hundreds of faults and gaps with many surface bodies and few if any solid bodies. I think the latter case comes from exporting with exterior faces only (where the software does a terrible job of determining this) instead of simplifying the internal and then exporting exterior whole solid bodies. If I could feedback to all component MFR's, I'd urge them to dogfood their own export by reimporting it and seeing first-hand what garbage they have created.

All the same, I have imported STEPs of deeply nested subassemblies, but have never encountered a Sweep or any other Feature in my STEP imports. I agree this is odd, and have no good ideas about it. (Install ref 2018 SP5)
MattW
Answers: 2

Unread post by MattW »

I would like to see a sample .step if you could share one.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Tom G wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:41 pm The options chosen when the user created the STEP are not evident to recipient until after import. I always find this frustrating, because some models come through nicely, and others have hundreds of faults and gaps with many surface bodies and few if any solid bodies. I think the latter case comes from exporting with exterior faces only (where the software does a terrible job of determining this) instead of simplifying the internal and then exporting exterior whole solid bodies. If I could feedback to all component MFR's, I'd urge them to dogfood their own export by reimporting it and seeing first-hand what garbage they have created.

All the same, I have imported STEPs of deeply nested subassemblies, but have never encountered a Sweep or any other Feature in my STEP imports. I agree this is odd, and have no good ideas about it. (Install ref 2018 SP5)
No kidding. I always request a Parasolid because it usually comes in cleaner. (Never underestimate someone's ability to screw that up as well.) Just a week or two ago I spent 1.5 hours inside SE cleaning up a part from Kohler Engines. The only bright spot was the fact that SWX would have taken at least twice as long to do it.

o[
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

bentlybobcat wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:59 am So I got a bunch of step files from one of our contractors to use in our assembly model.

Importing them into Swx v2019 results in every part having a Sweep inserted in the part on top of the Imported part in the feature manager tree.

The Sweep is broken due to relations to elements that no longer exist.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Any "easy" rectifications?

I can delete the offending sweeps, but there are a bunch of parts and it's a bit time consuming.

Thanks
This has to do with what template the program is using when it pulls in the STEP file.

The template that is defined here (see below) is the culprit. It probably has a sweep in it.
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
bentlybobcat

Unread post by bentlybobcat »

dpihlaja wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:23 pm This has to do with what template the program is using when it pulls in the STEP file.

The template that is defined here (see below) is the culprit. It probably has a sweep in it.

image.png
Dude. You are THE MAN! Have no idea how this got changed.

Thank you!
Bent
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

bentlybobcat wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:42 pm Dude. You are THE MAN! Have no idea how this got changed.

Thank you!
No problem. Glad I could help

Also, as a side note, if you have multiple templates, and special ones that you want to use for imported documents, then select this option:
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14