CAD recruiters and agencies

List your openings or availability here
ctsturdiv
Answers: 0

CAD recruiters and agencies

Unread post by ctsturdiv »

As last semester is underway, I am looking towards my job hunt.

In other industries I have worked in be it convention banquets/bartending, nursing assistant work, even plants or warehouse work, you had these staffing agencies.

You went in, took whatever test, showed any paperwork, and if they had something (and you bugged the hell out of them), you had a job.Sometimes Temp to Perm. Some of them were BS. Others gave you pretty decent stuff. Sometimes with little experience and it was MUCH easier than sending resumes into the void or filling out dozens of applications(when they could have just looked at a resume).

When I was working in call centers last 10 years, this was not needed. All I had to do was show up, have a pulse, show I had experience, I could get hired at pretty much any place.

I hear it works differently now in fields like this. It's a lot of Linked In stuff, a lot of word of mouth, quite a bit (at least from cursory probing and listening to students) a lot of nepotism depending on discipline.

There's also not just one job title which adds to the confusion.

What are the major agencies that look for drafters? Anyone ever gotten a job via people like this? Or are there other methods?

Thanks!
matt
Answers: 19

Re: CAD recruiters and agencies

Unread post by matt »

Not sure what your question is. "People like this" means what? Do you mean recruiters? I don't think there's one central agency you go to for drafters. There are a million agencies. And once you find out who they are, they won't let you forget. A lot of them are from India. You'll find there must be one day of the month where new info is given out, because all of a sudden you'll get 3 or 4 people contacting you at the same time about the same job.

You have to have a resume. You have to understand what you're looking for. You have to keep your eyes open everywhere. Social media, Linked In, facebook groups, get registered with agencies who advertise that sort of thing. Google works for work as well. Monster, your state employment agency, big internet agencies, little local agencies, direct at companies... look everywhere.

Depending on where you live, you might also be open to moving.

Drafting is kind of a broad field. Generally, employers are going to want you to have experience is some specific field, like architecture, machinery, GIS, electrical, plumbing.... Right out of school it might not matter much. Go to a big architectural firm and just apply blind.
ctsturdiv

matt wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:42 pm Not sure what your question is. "People like this" means what? Do you mean recruiters? I don't think there's one central agency you go to for drafters. There are a million agencies. And once you find out who they are, they won't let you forget. A lot of them are from India. You'll find there must be one day of the month where new info is given out, because all of a sudden you'll get 3 or 4 people contacting you at the same time about the same job.

You have to have a resume. You have to understand what you're looking for. You have to keep your eyes open everywhere. Social media, Linked In, facebook groups, get registered with agencies who advertise that sort of thing. Google works for work as well. Monster, your state employment agency, big internet agencies, little local agencies, direct at companies... look everywhere.

Depending on where you live, you might also be open to moving.

Drafting is kind of a broad field. Generally, employers are going to want you to have experience is some specific field, like architecture, machinery, GIS, electrical, plumbing.... Right out of school it might not matter much. Go to a big architectural firm and just apply blind.
Thanks for the heads up and clarification.

You answered my question. Thanks!

In some other fields, it was all local agencies and they controlled most of the job market depending on what you wanted.There were like 1-3 big local agencies or maybe a union that you walked into in major cities. Only one that ever asked ever for a resume and if you offered one, they'd say that's nice and ask you to fill out an application and probably throw it away. LOL.

Was just seeing from people in it if there were central places like that.

I have gotten my resume together. I don't have a specialization, but I'd like to think I am familiar with concepts of all the disciplines on a basic level and I can work AutoCAD at least on a proficient level and model 3D objects. I will be happy with anyone that will teach me. Only thing that worries me is I see a lot of stuff like Open Roads, Microstation, Creo, Solidworks, and other programs on job ads that worry me. I am sure there's crossover but there's still worry lack of that might hurt a bit.

Relocation I am open to, but right after I will have limited cash to do extreme moves or hotel stays in other states. And may, worse comes to worse, need to take another call center job for a bit to float me.

Come January, I will be hitting every everywhere within 150 miles.

I feel you on recruiters. Other fields I have been in did not have a such thing as recruiters. You blind applied or went to an agency. Not sure I want to deal with someone from the other side of the globe that is going to bug the heck out of me. LOL. I think I will pass on that.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Agency get pay from you or employer.
Just look through local job sites (indeed, linkedin, government job site etc) online and company websites (go through Google Map in you area).
Don't be too specific with the search. You'll find the keywords and narrow down later.
ctsturdiv

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:32 pm Agency get pay from you or employer.
Just look through local job sites (indeed, linkedin, government job site etc) online and company websites (go through Google Map in you area).
Don't be too specific with the search. You'll find the keywords and narrow down later.
Yeah, that is really the annoying thing about this as opposed to other industry is that there seems to be like a dozen or more titles for what we do.

For instance, if you are a nurse, you can search for "nurse" or put yourself out there as a nurse if you have that credential and there's no confusion. While yes, there are specialties, you have one stop.

You don't have to play with terminology. And some of these things are vastly different.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

ctsturdiv wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:19 pm Yeah, that is really the annoying thing about this as opposed to other industry is that there seems to be like a dozen or more titles for what we do.

For instance, if you are a nurse, you can search for "nurse" or put yourself out there as a nurse if you have that credential and there's no confusion. While yes, there are specialties, you have one stop.

You don't have to play with terminology. And some of these things are vastly different.
Let your interests drive your search for a job. A drafter can be more then just a drafter, I am an example of that. It wasn't easy finding a job for me either but I'm glad I didn't just skip around places and landed in a spot where I was truely interested/inspired.
Frederick_Law

ctsturdiv wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:19 pm Yeah, that is really the annoying thing about this as opposed to other industry is that there seems to be like a dozen or more titles for what we do.

There are different "nurse" in different departments with different qualification.
Same with "driver".
Same with "doctor".
You're starting in a new industry and you already know how it works ()
ctsturdiv

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:40 am There are different "nurse" in different departments with different qualification.
Same with "driver".
Same with "doctor".
You're starting in a new industry and you already know how it works ()
Well, sometimes you have to ask the dumb questions. And, like most forum boards (including Reddit), 90 percent of people lurk and never post looking for the answers to the dumb questions.

It was something I noticed.

I remember almost two years ago when I began the degree, I asked somewhere about the job listings. First search only found two. Then I was given a list of about 3-4 terms, came up with much more.

I can cope, but it is kind of annoying as I do initial explorations and researching the names of these companies.

When I mean "messing with the terminology", I mean you can go into a search engine on a job site and it pulls up all specialties under that umbrella.

Like for your example, "nurse".

If you type in "nurse" on Indeed, Linked In, whatever you get ALL the ads for the specialties there. Pediatric nurse? It's there. ICU nurse. There. Psych nurse. There. Nursing administration? Guess what. There. If you don't want to cope with that, there are even agencies that will probably you somewhere if they have it, providing the license is straight, you have the degree, and you don't have an army of former employers talking smack about you or you show up drunk and unbathed to the interview.

Or "driver"

You type in "driver", you get ALL the ads for a driver. Multiple scam apps like Uber/Door Dash, Pizza Hut, Limousine driver, semi truck driver, even hardcore stuff like Hazmat.

But if you do "drafter", you don't get it all.

You might have to do "CAD Tech" or "BIM" or "Engineering Tech" or "Designer" or "modeller" and a laundry list of other terms.

It's just one of those annoying things I noticed.
Frederick_Law

"CAD Operator"
"Detailer"

"BIM" is very specific: "Building Information Modeling"

My feed from indeed:
"CAD Drafter"
"Solidworks Drafter"
"Product Designer"
"Mechanical Designer"
"Mechanical CAD Designer"
"Mechanical Technologist"

I usually start search with "Autodesk Inventor" or "Solidworks".
ctsturdiv

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:07 pm "CAD Operator"
"Detailer"

"BIM" is very specific: "Building Information Modeling"

My feed from indeed:
"CAD Drafter"
"Solidworks Drafter"
"Product Designer"
"Mechanical Designer"
"Mechanical CAD Designer"
"Mechanical Technologist"

I usually start search with "Autodesk Inventor" or "Solidworks".
Thank you.

That helps tremendously. It was like I was playing the old Family Feud trying to guess the answers that would appear on the survey in that game show.

I know it sounded dumb. But I was like, "Why can't I just type one thing like I did in other careers and get a good overview". LOL.